Thursday 13 August 2015

It's Been a While!

Starting this 'fun' project a month ago I planned to teach myself the ukulele by playing it every day. This worked for two weeks, then I didn't pick it up for another two and a half. I had thought the summer holidays would be the ideal time to learn, however life and going on holiday got in the way. Turns out I didn't take the uke to Cornwall. The more time that passed the bigger a deal it felt to pick up my poor abandoned instrument, like I'd need to invest hours of time to 'catch up'. This evening, feeling determined, I got reacquainted and bumbled my way through the songs I learnt (and posted) a few weeks ago. I feel like I've missed out on a chunk of learning, as I had hoped to become good enough to play and sing with my class. Still, there are two weeks of the holiday left so I'll do my best! For me things stop being fun when they become chore-like. It took me this evening to remember I actually enjoy it. I learnt 'Mama Said' with Laurence. I've uploaded two recordings. One of Laurence singing and me playing, then one of me trying to sing and play together (very rough around the edges!)

Mama Said 13.08.15

Mama Said 2nd Version 13.08.15

1 comment:

  1. Both very nice, thought the second one worked better. I think the tone quality on the uke needs adjusting and of course bass would be good. Also think it might be good to experiement with a vocal mic and a bit of reverb maybe....

    ReplyDelete